We are excited to announce the casting call for one of our 12 Western feature films, A GUIDE TO GUNFIGHTERS OF THE WILD WEST, scheduled to start production in March/April 2020. The film is written by Wendy Memoli and will be produced/directed by Travis Mills.
An open casting call will take place May 18th at Film Actor Workshops in Tucson from 10am to 6pm. Parking at this venue is limited. Please be prepared to park across the street. Here is the address: 1111 N Main Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705
Please make special note of these instructions:
- There are no appointments; this is a first come, first served casting call. We will see as many people as possible 10am to 6pm.
- No video auditions are NOT accepted at this time. You must show up in person on May 18th to audition.
- The sides/scenes for the characters are included below each description as hyperlinks to download PDFs. If I have included more than one scene for a character, please learn ALL of them. For example, anyone auditioning for Tate (the lead role) should prepare all three scenes.
- Please be as off-book (memorize the lines) as possible. I am a big believer that you can’t really play the character and be natural until you know the lines like the back of your hand.
- Please bring a copy of your headshot (or a clear picture of yourself will suffice) and your resume to the casting call.
- Principal roles feature some compensation, budget allowing, or net profit percentage on the film. Supporting roles are not paid, for copy/credit/meals only. This is an ultra-low-budget production. Please participate for the love of acting/Westerns, the chance to get experience, and to add good credit for your resume
- Production will take place in Southern Arizona in March/April 2020.
- For any questions, please email me at email@example.com
Mid to Late 30s. Good looks starting to fade, scruffy.
Tate is a gunfighter who never wanted to be one. He’s trying to figure out how to get out of more gun battles, while handling his affections for Katherine and the return of his brother Brice.
Tate Sides 1
Tate Sides 2
Tate Sides 3
Early to Mid 30s. Attractive but nearing “old maid” status for the time period.
Katherine is a strong, independent woman. She cares about Tate, a gunfighter in a complicated situation, but her father (the Sheriff) and mother may want to persuade her otherwise.
Katherine Sides 1
Katherine Sides 2
Katherine Sides 3
Early to late 50s. A tough-minded but reasonable lawman.
The Sheriff is torn between protecting his daughter (Katherine), the town, and Tate’s life as the gunfights continue.
Sheriff Sides 1
Sheriff Sides 2
Late 60s to 80s. Crusty old codger.
Wilson is the town’s busy-body, always butting in when he shouldn’t, with an opinion on just about everything.
Wilson Sides 1
Wilson Sides 2
Mid to Late 20s. Holy, righteous and not experienced in the ways of the world.
Bride, Tate’s brother, is a holier-than-thou preacher who is determined to turn everyone towards the right path.
Early to Mid 20’s. Supportive, loyal.
Brice’s wife Lucy wants a family life. She’s happy to support her husband and help his brother. But she wants more; something is missing.
Early to late 50s. A hard-working, stubborn woman.
Katherine’s mother (the Sheriff’s ex-wife) runs the general store in town. It’s her life and she’s put all she has into it for Katherine but can she except Katherine for who she is?
Early to Mid 20s. Cocky, ambitious.
Slim is a gunfighter who wants to earn his reputation by beating another famous gunfighter, in this case Tate Butler.
50s to 60s. Another lawman in the area, more stern than the Sheriff.
The Marshall doesn’t have the same personal connection to Tate. No matter the reason, he wants to keep his jurisdiction violence-free.
Marshall Pearson Sides
If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking forward to this workshop, as have done several westerns in the past
Can I play 50’s to 60’s?
I believe so. But would anyone else?
I think you can pull it off.
Sounds interesting. When will the sides be available?
The sides are available on this link. Look at the hyperlinks under each character name. Click them for the PDF.
I have a question regarding the Mother. You have early to late 50’s but you describe her as a white haired senior woman with limited physical requirements. That seems to describe someone older than 50.
Is there some give regarding her age?
Yes, there is some give. Feel free to give that a shot. Sorry for the late reply.
Love it. I may only be able yo do back ground at that time.
I’m a year and a few months shy of 50 for the marshall role, does 48 and change cut it close enough? Lol. Also will there be other parts, other gun fighters etc or are these the only parts? I would like to throw my hat in the ring . Thanks Travis.
Go for it. Sorry for the late reply.
Seems like none Anglos need not apply. The listed roles indicate Anglos only. Nothing against that if this is what the story calls for. But if this is a western ( you’re talking Arizona, New Mexico, Texas maybe Colorado ) so Native American Indians, Mexicans, Blacks even Chinese weren’t around in those states during this period in history.
There’s no mention of race in what we posted. All races may audition.
Looks like a lot of fun.
I will be there for Katherine role. this looks like a lot of fun and I admire your work.
Great. See you there.
I’m 59, retired, and always looking for interesting experiences. Are you looking for experienced actors (my experience is limited)? And are you expecting people to come dressed in western attire for the casting call?
Hi Craig. You don’t have to come dressed Western but if you do, that’s always cool. Limited experience is fine. Hope to see you there.